Friday, April 25, 2008

So it's not the normal romance...



For the past eight months, I've been trying to get my historical, Spanish Eyes in front of agents or the big publishers. This is one very sensual, and adventurous story. Not only is my hero, Anton, one HOT man, but he's sexy as hell. And...he could be a stunt double for Antonio Banderas in his younger years. heehee So why shouldn't the agents or big publishers want it?

Well...I was thinking last night about mailing more queries to agents since I haven't heard anything for about four months now. But then it hit me. Why aren't they liking this story? Lots of adventure, lots of sexual tension (you know I love to write that!) and there's a mean, dangerous bad guy in this story... It has all the elements. It's one of my best written, if I have to say so myself. But then I realized last night that this story takes place on two continents. The first half of the book is in New York and sailing on a ship. The second half of the book takes place in Spain. Shoot, I'm adding a LOT of scenery.

Yet, I can't think of one historical from Harlequin, or from Kensington, or from Avon (or the others) like this. Usually the story takes place in one town, city, state...country. So is this the reason agents aren't biting? Because there is no 'fit' for this story?

Once again, I've written out of the formula. However, it's what publishers are asking for. It's new and fresh. But apparently, they don't like this kind of fresh? I don't know. Just confuses me sometimes.

Anyway, here is the blurb to the story. Tell me if you think it's marketable...

In a world when women must fight for every right, suffragette Rebecca Wakefield is determined to become a Pinkerton Detective. Her plan? Capturing the notorious thief, Anton Carerra; a man known as much for his womanizing as he is for his brilliant criminal mind.

Lady’s man, Anton Carrera is smitten with Rebecca from the very beginning. He wants nothing more than to seduce the stiff Miss Wakefield, until he learns she is investigating him for a crime he didn’t commit. She is innocent and naïve; convinced he is the villain her superiors have painted him. But her over-zealous determination places both of them in danger and he is forced to play the honorable rogue.

Sweeping her away to Padre Island off the coast of Spain seemed like a clever idea at the time. But how can he protect them both from his own uncle’s murderous games when Anton’s heart falls victim to a woman as full of independence as she is desire…

~Phyllis~

No comments: