Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Romance Satisfies our Inner Child

We romance readers (and writers) have never truly grown up. We are still little girls, longing to read stories about "princesses" being swept away by their "Prince Charmings".

My girls love anything Disney. I know a lot of people have issues with Disney, but not me. I'm giddy when I go to D-land or D-World. I love meeting the characters and watching the movies. I'm a sap, through and through, no doubt about it. But I realized that we have never really grown out of our "princess" phase.

Sure, our fairy tales might be a bit more graphic and intense, but it all boils down to the happily ever after. Romance authors write modern-day fairy tales. They may be a bit more gritty than even the Brothers Grimm (which is actually saying something, as those tales are pretty wicked), but what it all boils down to in the end is that those who love the romance genre probably still love glitter, cry at cheesy movies, and either A.) do arts & crafts, B.) loves animals or C.) have a permanent place on their DVD shelf for either "Pretty Woman" or "Dirty Dancing" or BOTH! LOL

As for me, I have never truly grown up. I fully admit that I still adore princesses and the Charmings who love them. And that's one of the reasons I enjoy writing romance. :)

~~Becka

No comments: