Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Research



Research. It's a necessary evil. Some authors love it, some really hate it. I think I'm right in the middle. I hate being "delayed" writing a book to research it, however, I've always loved history, it was one of my favorite subjects in school. Therefore, I can sometimes get lost in researching a project.

Case in point, my next book, ONCE A DREAMER, (The Orphan Train Series) is set in Dodge City, KS in the summer of 1878. While researching the routes of the Orphan Train, the name of the streets and shops and saloons, I come across a wonderful nugget of history.

BOTH Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday lived in Dodge City in the summer of 1878. Earp was the local Marshal, while Holliday came along for the gambling, with a little light dentistry on the side (hence the "Doc"). :)

Am I going to incorporate them into my book? Heck yes I am. I have an awesome opportunity to do something VERY cool. I mean, history buffs who may or may not read ONCE A DREAMER might think to themselves why I would set my book in Dodge City circa 1878 and NOT mention Earp or Holliday at all.

I was excited before to write this book. Now, I'm all kinds of TINGLY excited! :D I've got to watch the movie Tombstone again, even though the shoot out at the O.K. Corral was like 5 years later. Just gotta get some inspiration when and where I can.

Talk about finding a nugget of pure gold in the era and area you are researching for your Next Big Novel! :D

~~Becka
http://www.RebeccaGoings.com

1 comment:

Cindy K. Green said...

That is very cool, Becka!! As someone trained in history and a writer of historials, I would most definitely include that little nugget. Hee! Looking forward to how this one comes together.