Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A wee bit of research

I spent this past weekend in Galveston which turned out to be great fun. While I was really there for my other job, I took a bit of time to do a bit of research. They have this wonderful train museum and since I'm currently working on a story for an anthology about heroines who once rode the orphan train, I was very excited about taking pictures of the trains.Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

So . . . I'm going to post a few of the more modern train pictures here, then post the images that most resemble the trains from the 1870's on the orphan train blog.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketThis is a picture of the 555, a 1922 steam engine that was one of the last revenue engines in service in the US.

The next pictures are of the interior because when I tried to do a search for the interior of trains, I came up empty handed. I'm hoping others will be able to learn from these.

This image is of the inside of a mail carrying car. Further into the car, they had a row of slots with names for each town on their routePhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketCheck out the galley. Can you imagine cooking while the train rumbled across the tracks? I actually got to ride the George Bush train to Dallas and it built up quite a bit of speed on the straight tracks.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketAnd last, but not least, enjoy a picture of a sleeping room. My mother was big on "experiences" so she booked us on a two-day train ride when I was about 12 just so I could say I slept on a moving train. The room was very similar to this one and yes, being the child, I got to sleep on the top bunk. Needless to say, I don't think I slept much that night.

Be sure to check out the orphan train blog tomorrow for more train pics. The ones I post there will be of an earlier era; 1890's.

2 comments:

anne said...

Interesting visit that you had and the photos are extremely lovely. I enjoyed those pics of bygone eras.

Ciara Gold said...

Thanks Anne. It was fun climbing through these trains and imagining what it must have been like traveling 100 years ago.