Sunday, July 30, 2006

RWA Conference in Atlanta

I'm back from a fun-filled week in Atlanta with about 2000 other writers. It was fabulous. The hotel accommodations were the best I've ever stayed in. The staff was very helpful, check-in and check-out was painless and the food was to die for. How in the world can they feed that many and not have rubbery chicken? The chicken was tender and juicy as was the steak. And I think that's the best cheesecake I've ever tasted. And I love cheesecake.

I truly enjoyed getting to know some people I'd only met on-line. Critique groups are invaluable and I've belonged to a group for about five years now and until this past week, I'd only met two of the ten in person. I had the pleasure of meeting two more. And I hope to meet two or three more next year in Dallas for RWA or Houston for RT. I also had the pleasure of meeting Karen and her husband from Coffeetime. She's an absolute doll and her husband is a true gem.

But, the best part was that I came back rejuvinated and ready to write. I attended some of the best workshops. You're never too old to learn and even if you know the information, revisiting it from time to time helps you embrace those craft issues you take for granted.

And I must say, Nora Roberts and Susan Elizabeth Phillips were hoots. They gave the best speeches that kept us all in stitches. The Lifetime Achievement award couldn't have gone to a better person. I truly admire both of these writers and all they've done to help other aspiring authors. Well done, ladies.

No comments: