Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Held captive by a cockroach

EWWWW. We all have our little fears. Some are sillier than others I suppose, but one of my biggest fears is the cockroach. My DH finds that terribly amusing because I'm so big compared to the brown bug. However, they just gross me out. I always have to call DH to come kill the darn things whenever I come across one. I think it has to do with a childhood experience in which a junebug crawled up my slip. I couldn't strip fast enough. I know - junebugs and cockroaches aren't really in the same league but .... Then there was the time in our first home when I was literally attacked three times by cockroaches. They fly and the first one flew off the ceiling to land on my chest. It landed hard enough to awaken me from a dead sleep. I sat up, screamed, woke my DH, woke the cat and preceded to go on a cockroach hunt as I wouldn't be able to sleep until it was dead. No worries, mission accomplished. So - I go back to sleep only to wake up to the same exact thing happening. After taking care of the second attack cockroach, I fell into a fitful sleep. Sure enough, another one started to fly about, hitting the side of the wall. That was it. No more sleep that night. I'm not talking your small house roaches. I'm talking those giant waterbugs. Creepy.

So - last night, I get up to go to the bathroom and as I push open the door, there it is, on the edge of the door. The biggest, yuckiest cockroach I've seen in a long time. I freeze. Finally, I close the door ever so gently. I don't want the bugger flying at me. I do my business, keeping a watchful eye on the beast, but when I'm done, I'm faced with a dilemma. If I open the door with the light on, I'll wake DH. No way am I going to turn the light off first and then open the door because that will give the waterbug a chance to move in my direction. I can't swat him. The sound will wake hubby. I know - you're thinking that it didn't stop me from waking him that other time, but he had to get up at 5:00AM for work and he hadn't slept in three days. Nope. I'm NOT going to wake my husband. And of course, there's no spray in the cabinet.

Oh, but wait. There is spray -- hairspray. So, I very cautiously pick up the hairspray, aim and squirt. Well, it didn't kill it, but at least he moved in the opposite direction. Well hidden beneath a towel, I was able to skirt around him, turn off the light, open the door and run for the bed.

I fell into a light sleep only to be awakened by the cat. She was amused by something and chased it about the room for a good hour. I only hope she got the bloody beast.

4 comments:

Phyllis Campbell said...

I don't like them darn insects, either. Ewwwww... But I'm a killing machine when I see them. Yep, I won't rest until they're dead!

~Phyllis~

Unknown said...

Yuk, you just conjured up some horrible childhood memories. I spent the night with a friend once and slept on the top bunk. She got up to use the bathroom, turned on the light, and the ceiling was filled with them. I cried and demanded to go home. *lol*
Also, here in TN, there are these awful bugs that are a cross between a cricket and a spider. They jump, and they are the ugliest things I've ever seen. I'm afraid to walk across the floor at night for fear of stepping on one, although we've only had one or two get into the house. Yikes...I hate creepy crawly things. Thanks for bringing this up at bedtime. :)

Ging

Donica Covey said...

My friends and I spend alot of time together and once a year we go to my place in the country.

A spider spotted? Call Doni. See a snake? Get Doni. Meet a mouse? Get Doni. Run into a Rat...you get the idea.

We were at my grilfriend's house the other night and a little spider was crawling along. I was watching him, they were all for me killing him.

Suddenly I was attacked by the biggest, ugliet June bug on the planet. I HATE JUNEBUGS!!!! I could do anything until they killed it.

Imagine all the teasing I go through!

Ciara Gold said...

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone in my deep dislike for the horrid beasts. Shivers.