Thursday, June 26, 2008

Paris was amazing

My daughter and I were smiling big as we started our journey. After ten hours on the plane we were still smiling but not quite as broadly. LOL. We arrived about 10:00 AM Paris time so we dropped off our bags and headed out to see our first glimpse of Paris.

The architecture is absolutely amazing, but they have a law or city ordinance that doesn't allow new construction to exceed a certain height because they don't want the tall skyscrapers to dwarf the older buildings. While the buildings aren't much taller than 8 stories, the city itself is very compact, to the point of feeling crowded. Space is at a premium and all the rooms and stores are quite small. They pack a lot into each space.



Parking is almost nonexistent so everyone rides bikes, mororcycles or they walk and walk we did. Everywhere. They have an amazing subway system but even so you have to walk down lots of stairs to make the connection you want. Needless to say, I came home well toned.



We saw so much that I'm on visual overload, but my two favorite areas was Monet's home and water gardens and Chambord Chateaux.



Oh and the Reims Cathedral was breathtaking. The heighth was astounding, but the solemn atmosphere was spiritually uplifting.

4 comments:

Nichole Ellis said...

Gorgeous pics! Thanks so much for sharing and takes some of the sting out of the envy, lol. You and your daughter look like you had a ball. :)

Hugs,
Nichole

Ciara Gold said...

Thanks bunches. I plan to post a more in depth look at the trip as time goes by with lots more pictures!

Kealie Shay said...

Those pictures ARE gorgeous! That is on the top of my list of places to visit. Someday...

I can't wait to see more of your pictures.

Ciara Gold said...

Hey Kealie, I'm going to post about twice a week. I want to document it all before I forget, but there was just so much to see and do. It was a fabulous trip and one worth taking. I hope you get to go soon.